Written by Lori Thiessen
As Dickens’ writes in A Christmas Carol: “At this festive season of the year, it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the poor . . . “.
On bitterly cold days, a cup of coffee just to wrap your fingers around is wonderful. Just think what a street person would think about having just a little bit of heat anywhere on his body.
So here are just a few ideas about sharing a little caffe culture with those who really need some help:
- Donate generously to your local outreach program
- Become involved in serving Christmas dinner through an outreach program
- Approach your local caffeinated watering hole and see if they would be open to donating some of their black gold and goodies to an outreach program
- Get some of your friends together, brew up some coffee and tea, make some rib sticking sandwiches and distribute them to people in need
- When a street person approaches you for some money to get some food and drink, give them some
A friend of mine is organizing a blanket drive among our group and we will deliver them directly to those who need them.
It’s not a solution to this problem but it will provide some temporary relief to a few individuals which is better than doing nothing at all.
Please give the gift of warmth to those who desperately need it.