Written by Lori Thiessen
When you go into a coffee shop to order a cup of coffee, what do you call it? Here’s a list of names that coffee has been called:
- Cuppa Joe
- Devil’s Drink (17th century name)
- Black brew
- Mud (as in “here’s mud in your eye!”)
- Black gold
- Turks Berry Drink (17th century name)
- Wine of Islam (17th century name)
- Mud puddle buzz (Australian slang)
- Everton Toffee (Cockney rhyming slang, usually just referred to as Everton)
- Fully leaded or unleaded (caffeinated or decaffeinated, respectively)
- My caffeine fix
This is just a quick list about just plain old coffee. I’ll tackle the different kinds of coffee on another entry. But let me know if there is anything missing from the list! I’d love to hear about it.
Until next time,
May your coffee (or whatever you call it) always be freshly brewed!